Faisal Hassan was elected to the Legislative Assembly of Ontario on June 7th 2018, and proudly represents the riding of York South-Weston.
He is the Official Opposition Critic for Youth Opportunities and is a member of the Standing Committee on the Legislative Assembly.
Faisal is a member of the Ontario NDP Black Caucus, a first of it's kind in Ontario legislative history.
He is also a proud York South–Weston resident and an engaged community advocate. He has volunteered on the boards of the Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation (CERA), Habitat for Humanity and the Weston King Neighbourhood Centre.
Faisal has worked alongside York South-Weston members of provincial and federal Parliament. He is a former broadcaster and a published author, with deep ties to the community.
- Passed: Hassan’s motion calling for 27,000 new, paid work opportunities for young people
- Passed: Hassan’s bill to proclaim June 25 to July 1 Somali Heritage Week
- Hassan fought for faster COVID-19 testing in his hard-hit riding in Northwestern Toronto
- Hassan has advocated for provincial help to address local flooding concerns sooner as other levels of government drag their heels
- Hassan has stood shoulder-to-shoulder with families torn apart by gun violence, calling on the province to address root causes like poverty and to let big cities ban handgun and ammo sales
Official Opposition NDP Leader Andrea Horwath
“Faisal has been a tireless advocate for the York South-Weston community, from fighting to get his community help during the COVID-19 crisis to passing a bill that celebrates Somali heritage in Ontario. Faisal is an important part of the NDP team as we plan to form government in 2022, with a platform that promises better care for seniors and homes people can afford, including right here in York South-Weston.”